In September 1943, the City of Denton purchased 550 acres of land on the west side of the City for the construction of an airport. This is the current site of Denton Enterprise Airport (formerly named Denton Municipal Airport).
In January 1944, the City joined in a contract with the Civil Aeronautics Authority (CAA) for the construction of an airport with CAA id. In May 1946, the Mayor of Denton received a letter from the CAA informing the City that Airport construction was completed and ready to be taken over by the City. The Airport was completed in 1946, occupying approximately 523 acres with a single concrete runway, 4,125 feet in length and 150 feet in width.
During World War II, the airport was used for considerable training activity by the North Texas State College flying school. The Airport was also host to one of the only seven glider schools in the United States.